Monday 9 December 2013

The Dream, Oil on board, 8" x 10", 2013

I don't think many of us could dream on public transport. But when it comes to titles, anything can pass for a good one. I transformed this sketch of a young lady I saw sleeping on the train on London Underground from Embankment to Elephant and Castle on The Bakerloo Line. I really sketched as fast as possible and I was so happy with the result.

The Dream, 8" x 10" Oil on Board, 2013
 If you would like to purchase this work, you can click HERE


 
The Original Sketch for "The Dream"

Here's how I went about this one.

  1.  I used my usual limited palette of 4 colours The Zorn Palette). (Titanium White, Cadmium Red, Yellow Orche and Ivory Black.
  2. I didn't make a preliminary sketch to start this one off, I was so inspired, I just went straight into placing large patches of colour on the surface to plan the way her face would be, value wise.
  3. Once I had all the large shapes placed on the board, I added the brief notes of a washy background.
  4. It was after this that I then sketched the features on the face tones. It was almost like drawing on a painted surface.
  5. I was working really fast without thinking most of the time but I really wanted this piece to have a sketchy feel.
  6. In someways it almost looks a bit flat but I made a bit of adjustments around the left side of her face, where the light hits her face.
  7. I did my best to keep this piece simple and you can see from the picture below how it looked while working on it.

Work in progress on the easel

No comments: